By Megumi Azekawa, MM, MT-BC, WA MT Task Force Co-Chair
As a result of ongoing state agency visits, we have some exciting updates on Medicaid Waiver coverage for music therapy in WA! Here is the nutshell:
1. DSHS DDA CIIBS Waiver (Children's Intensive In-home Behavioral Support)
1) Provider requirement will be "board certified music therapist with 2 years of the experience in the related population", instead of "a board certified music therapist with a master's degree and experience.
2) Music therapy will be as a part of Complimentary Therapy and the CIIBS waiver will possibly set up individual and group session fees.
3) Likely to require data collection and report on client(s)' progress on a quarterly basis.
4) This change will be effective on July 2019 and the CIIBS team is finalizing the contract right now.
2. DSHS ALTSA (Aging and Long-Term Support Administration) COPES Waiver
1) COPES Waiver (Community Options Program Entry) will include a board certified music therapist as a provider type for Client Training.
2) COPES Waiver covers approx. 40,000 residents in WA.
3) COPES Waiver team is finalizing the fee methodology and considering to set up both individual and group session rates.
4) This change will be effective on January 1, 2019.
Once we hear the final details of both waivers' amendments, we will surely share the information with you! We Task Force team is also planning to hold another Music Therapy Symposium in Spring 2019 to invite the COPES and CIIBS program managers to introduce these changes and find out how to become a Medicaid Waiver contractor under these waivers. Stay tuned!!